Tim Shibahara was a lifelong resident of the city of Estacada and an active community member. Tim grew up along the Clackamas River and established a career working to restore fish populations native to the river. Tim became an active member of the Clackamas River Basin Council whose goal is to foster partnerships for clean water and to improve fish and wildlife habitat and the quality of life for those who live, work and recreate in the watershed.
The Tim Shibahara Memorial Scholarship Fund is open to graduating high-school seniors pursuing higher education in a discipline relevant to goals of the Clackamas River Basin Council. Examples include, but are not limited to: fish and wildlife science, natural resources, environmental science, etc. Preference will be given to students demonstrating a history of community involvement. This scholarship is intended to support a senior graduating from Estacada, Colton, or Molalla high schools.
Award amount: Up to three scholarships of $2000 each. Scholarships are renewable up to 1 additional year.
Application Open: February 15th, 2023
Application Closed: May 1st, 2023 at 11:59 pm PST
Required Application Contents: To apply using the online application form, please click the button below. If you have a paper copy of the application, you may email it to email@example.com or turn it into your high school’s College and Careers Coordinator.
A complete application must include:
- Completed application
- Recent high school transcript demonstrating an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher;
- Typed essays in response to the questions (questions listed below).
Your contribution to the Tim Shibahara Memorial Scholarship Fund supports local high school age students in our rural Clackamas County communities.
Please consider a gift to the Tim Shibahara Memorial Scholarship Fund and help a student interested in natural resource careers pay for college.
Donations are accepted through our PayPal account using the button below. You may also mail a check to:
Clackamas River Basin Council
Attn: Tim Shibahara Memorial Scholarship Fund
PO Box 1869
Clackamas, OR 97015
Eligibility — Applicants must be:
- Graduating Seniors at Estacada High School, Colton High School, or Molalla High School.
- Applicants must provide proof of an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher at the time of application.
- Applicants must demonstrate intent in pursuing an education relevant to the goals of the Clackamas River Basin Council. Examples include, but are not limited to: Fish and Wildlife Science, Natural Resources, Environmental Science, etc.
Process — The scholarship Selection Committee will review the applications and select recipients that best meet the scholarship purpose based on the applicant’s eligibility and application form. Students selected to receive a scholarship must provide proof of enrollment at an accredited university, college, or community college before awards are disbursed.
*Additional Year Eligibility – Recipients may be eligible for an additional year of funding if they meet the following conditions:
- Demonstrate continued full-time enrollment at an accredited university, college or community college.
- Provide proof of an overall GPA of 2.5 or higher.
- Submit a short essay to the Selection Committee stating how they are continuing their education and why it aligns with the purpose of the scholarship.
All awards will be determined in an objective and non-discriminatory manner
Essays — The essays are the most important aspect of the application. Please answer each of the following questions. Submit the responses in a separate typed document and upload it to the online application form. Please include your full name and high school at the top of each page. Limit responses to each question to 750 words or less.
- Please explain how your educational pursuits and career goals relate to the mission of the Clackamas River Basin Council. As a reminder, you can learn more about the Clackamas River Basin Council at https://clackamasriver.org/.
- Please explain your views on the importance of community involvement and provide specific examples of how you have contributed to your community.